Thursday, January 24, 2013

Take care of #1 day 23/01

Today was a very relaxing day. I had two morning classes which went well.  In Mitos we learned about how all of the days of the week in spanish stem from pagan gods/astrology.  Apparently also the myth is that Hercules founded Segovia.  We pondered questions such as are myths true? and then what is the truth? who determines this truth? Deep stuff. Then in the next class with Gladys we talked about our upcoming trip to Madrid, which looks pretty cool. Mom- we get to go into that palace that you and I found. Then we watched some movie on the spanish civil war about Americans who volunteered to go help the Spaniards defeat Franco.  People from all over the world did this and they had to do it by sneaking into Spain via the mountains because Spain was blocked off.  They interviewed some real people who were there serving as Lincoln's Army or as nurses and it was pretty cool.  Then I came home and had a relaxing rest of my day.  It was snowy and cold so I didn't want to go outside.  Instead I took a nice shower, did my nails, straightened my room etc.  Eventually I did some homework, ate with Puri and also chatted with Puri.  It felt good to just chill for a night! I think people here are realizing that #1 there's not actually that much to do in Segovia and #2 we need to chill out and not see everything all at once and then have nothing new to experience later. We have a long time here and we have to live a realistic life (which means not going out every night).

Words I learned (from the evil evil book):
irremisiblemente condenados- hopelessly doomed
desdentado- toothless
pelambrera- long thick hair
nuez- adam's apple
procaz- obscene
paleta- small shovel, small spade, fish slice, lollipop, popsicle, fire-shovel, a painter's tablet, iron ladle, a mason's tool, blade-bone of the shoulder, ice lolly, topside of beef, chopsticks, blade
^This one is my favorite, it has SO many meanings!

No comments:

Post a Comment