Sunday, January 20, 2013

My big fat Spanish Sunday 20/01

Today was a very long, tiring, and yet very fun day! I was able to sleep in (thank goodness) and then met up with another host family and their student, Jill, to go to mass.  We went to mass at the huge cathedral in the plaza mayor. During the week you have to pay to get in, but it is free for mass. The cathedral was beautiful.  It was the last gothic-style cathedral built in Spain.  The bishop delivered the mass which was pretty cool. I was pretty lost... I was super proud when the our father came around because I know that one. Thanks Mullen! Communion is really different here. It is like a free for all, there is no organization or waiting in line. Just running and grabbing communion. Plus only like half the people took communion.  Also the altar boys (as termed here) hold a plate under the host until it is in your mouth.  After mass we stayed to "pray" and by that we meant sitting there and staring at the beautiful ceiling until they turned the lights off.  Then we did what everyone does after church, went to a bar. Oh wait, NO ONE does that haha. It seems common here though... we all got wine and tapas before heading back to the other host families apartment to prepare lunch.  Lunch was a huge ordeal.  Lots of food (egg bake with vegetables and white asparagus just for me and chicken for everyone else). We ate lunch until 5:30pm! It was a group with seven women and one man and boy was it loud. They were all shouting and talking with their hands and talking over each other and arguing and laughing and enjoying life and Jill and I were just SUPER lost the whole time.  Finally Puri (you could tell she has had students before) told us that we could go do our hw and then come back at nine for dinner.  Jill and I happily escaped to a coffee shop to speak in english and get a bit of homework done.  Then nine o'clock rolled around and Jill and I braced ourselves for the craziness once more.  We helped cook dinner which was pancakes (quite different- a mi no me gusta) with chocolate and whipped cream. Um EW for dinner, for me. Ouch my tummy. But oh well. After another hour and a half of talking, Puri saved the day again and said it was time for us to leave.  She is such a mom :)

Complaint for the day: I HATE the tap water here. But that is what we are served so I try to drink it but for realz, I hate it. It is commonly known that I am picky about water, I don't like that I am but I am. Here it smells funky and tastes weird. But I have to get used to it I guess... blehhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment